Thursday, August 5, 2010

Study of a Terra Cotta Jug and Pear


This is an incomplete study of a terra cotta jug and pear. Stage one and two are complete. In stage one, the warm side of the jug, I painted orange, the green table cloth in the the light is painted a warm yellow with lots of white, the top of the pear is pure yellow. The background is cool and I started with purple. The shaded jug I painted mauve and the cast shadow, blue. I then painted the shades part of the pear a warm green and the cast shadow blue.
In the second stage, I had to darken the warm orange jug because I painted it too light. The top of the pear I cooled with a warm green. The table cloth was cooled with veridian green with lots of white. The background I dulled it with with orange, rose and then blue.
The shaded jug was dulled with orange and green. The cast shadows had more yellow and green. The shaded pear had more yellowish orange.
Once all the values and colors were correct, I moved to stage three, with bands of light. I started with the background, the table cloth and the shadows. Since the jug is the focal point, I will put the bands on it last.

No comments: