Thursday, August 19, 2010

Check out my jug and pear - no it is not a metaphor


Here is the completed study of a terracotta jug with a greenish, yellowish, orangey pear. I learned a lot doing this piece of work in handling color. The jug is overworked but the pear is spontaneous.
What I also noticed was I have dark side when oil painting. I was given a very acceptable suggestion regarding darkening the shadow under the jug. I painted a dark line around the bottom. Why? I don't like being told what to do and I proceeded to show it by painting a very dark line around the bottom of the jug. As if to say "Is it dark enough for you now?"
I took it to an extreme which was a silly response.
When I was corrected, again, and told I knew how to fix so do it, I caught myself. I had to fix the damage that I did to the painting. I fixed it and started laughing. I knew I did this when I didn't like my class assignment or work assignment changed especially when I thought the work was good. Why? I was done and thought it was good enough.
I responded the same way to the oil painting. This time, though, I worked to make it better rather than exaggerating the suggestion to show them how bad it could really look.
Good lesson.

No comments: