Thursday, August 5, 2010

Start to Finish


This was my first study in the Color Intensity Class. It was a start. I find I want to over think this painting process. Then, I overwork the piece and ruin the under painting that I spent so much time making.
The lines in the lemon should be less noticeable. More paint should be applied at the first and second stage. I need to use less of the palette knife tip. Dulling the color more in the shade would improve the painting. I need to remember the top shadow on the lemon is darker. Trust what I see is important. I am not concerned about the composition because this is a study. My focus is on seeing the light, practicing the stages, seeing the difference between light and dark, warm and cool, dull and bright. Each color has to be compared to the color next to it. No talking is allowed while you paint because are looking to see the color. Their are bands of color throughout the painting. It is difficult if you do not concentrate BUT you cannot stare into the object. Else, you will only see local color. It is constant scanning with your eyes.

This an 8x10 gessoboard oil painting. I will mix white acrylic and gesso to paint the back sides of these studies so I can reuse them.

No comments: