Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Brush With Still Life


I have returned to classes with Randy Blasquez. She teaches at the School of Light and Color and I would see her students' work drying in the entryway . I found I missed her instruction and painting with her. I would read what Randy posted on blogs, what she was teaching and about her current classes. I decided I wanted to continue taking classes with her. I like her teaching approach to oil painting.

Here is today's incomplete painting from Randy's class. I love the grays in the painting. The background color was made with piles of white, paynes grey, ultramarine blue and a touch of alizarin crimson. Then I added a touch of yellow ochre.

The bottles were pure ultramarine blue. The label on the left is painted with ultramarine blue, cad red, white and transparent oxide.
The yellow roses are not complete and the stems need some attention. I need to add highlights to the bottles, make light changes to the background and foreground. I, also, need to finish the glass container. Oh and straighten the background line transition between tabletop and background. Fun stuff.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so happy to have you in class - love your work ethic and passion. You inspire me.

Eva Marie Tanner-Klaas said...

I am happy to be back. Thank you, Randy.