Thursday, March 11, 2010

"Preparing for a Hangover" 8X10 Oil on Board


I took a wonderful workshop with Susan Sarback in Fair Oaks, CA last year and I am continuing to improve my skills with color and a palette knife.
This painting, "Preparing for a Hangover" has some successes and failures in it. The shadow under the lemon is overworked. The background's value is too similar to the lemon shadow. The composition isn't very interesting. I loved painting the cherries and the cobalt blue glass.
I want to paint daily. I do this and then normally attend a critique group on Tuesdays with very talented artists in Oregon. We bring in all of our work for the week and discuss the paintings, subjects, composition and process. I recommend this to all artist, painters, and potters.
Sitting with a group of people who have a goal to improve their work is uplifting to the soul. I am always inspired after I leave.
We purchase and watch other artist DVDs, ( I highly recommend Susan Sarback's DVDs) share books and talk about the workshops we attend.
I think to be a successful artist or person, you must continue to learn.

No comments: