Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Abstract Painting and Life

Instruction  with Randy Blasquez is always excellent. What made it even more exceptional yesterday was the music. Imagine painting a still life with white roses and pears with "La Vie En Rose" by French singer Edith Piaf playing in the background.  It doesn't get much better than this.
Here is my piece from yesterday's class.  I am trying to see and create abstract shapes at the beginning. The pears are the only things rendered and I pushed the color brighter.  I  struggled with the gravy boat because I was thinking silver and subject rather than shapes and color.  The roses in light are represented with three values and the roses in shadow are represented in two values. It is a difficult study and I finally decided to stop working on it today and start another.
Yes - another. When I am learning a method, I take the class information and practice it during the week. If not, I can't improve. My biggest concern is not creating a precious, wonderful painting in class but rather my concern is what do I need to learn to improve my work. So, I am willing to make as many mistakes as possible to push myself. 
"La Vie" 12x12 Oil on textured cotton gallery wrap canvas

Close up of roses

Close up of pears


No comments: