Saturday, January 28, 2012

How's Your Values?

I painted a live model yesterday and was surrounded by wonderful artists. I watched their painting techniques and the layering of paint. It was awe inspiring. I wasn't able to spend enough time on my own and I see that it is flat.  I am seeing this more with the way I am painting with the brush. I am ending up with everything in the mid value range. I need to take my time, compare and see. Start with the darkest dark and compare. Return to the basics and simplify the shapes.

Instructor's Demo
I attached the painting that an instructor demoed for me Wednesday as I began to make it too complex.  She simplified shapes by combining darks and lights. It looks 3 dimensional. Notice the difference.

2 comments:

BeeGee said...

Eva, you could reframe by saying yours is more abstract or stylized. Just different ways of looking at art and different end goals. I like it!

Eva Marie Tanner-Klaas said...

I like that. Thanks. Eva