Monday, May 31, 2010

Charles Reid Workshop Day 1 and Seattle, WA





I have started my week with Charles Reid. The class if full of artist who are great painters. I know from other workshops, that I will struggle with the listening, learning, applying and remembering. So, I don't prepare for any masterpieces. Workshops are not for those with fragile egos.

Mr. Reid did a demo this morning for three hours with breaks about every 20 to 30 minutes. During the break, I went outside to see the bay. Beautiful.

We painted for a couple of hours and I made mud. He was kind enough to show me how he would approach the black and white photo I chose. I didn't realize how complicated mine was. Silly me.

During lunch, I met an artist in the class, Lynn Powers, who received an award in the Watercolor Society of Oregon. This show was recently in Brookings, Oregon at the Manley Art Center. She painted a nice piece as did the other students.

The pictures you are seeing are Charles Reid preparing to start a demonstration, a closeup picture of his completed artwork and the other pictures are of the surrounding bay.

No comments: