Friday, February 15, 2013

Improving Landscapes Takes Great Instruction, Notes and Practice

Here is my study from yesterday's class with Terry Miura. This is a limited palette with black, yellow ocher,  transparent red oxide and white  I watched  the instructor's demonstration, wrote down notes and then when he has finished, I use my notes and his demonstration to paint a similar study while I in class.
This study was started without toning the canvas. The trees, barns  and clouds were draw in.  Perspective lines were drawn into the field to remind one to paint a plane, (I needed the reminder). This means horizontal brush strokes. The darker shapes were blocked in and the sky and land were slightly toned to separate the dark, mid tones and lights. This this is just how the painting started. There was another hour and half painting and asking Terry questions.
Great demonstration. Fantastic instruction.
Landscape Study  9x12 on canvas sheet

No comments: