Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Composition, Notans and Color - Oh My

Art instructor Randy Blasquez took us to whole new level today in class. She had us time ourselves with notans or value paintings. Yes - paintings. We created a still life drawing and then we had five minutes to paint the value study. The subject was red roses, a reflective vase, a green apple with a green background and paisley umbrella. Not easy.
First, you had to ensure you have a good composition and get those values correct using a dark grey, medium grey and white. You could push it to 5 values if you wanted. I tried to keep it to 3 or 4 values.
Then  once you worked out the composition and values, you had to paint the still life with color while referring to your value study.
Here are a few of the notans or value studies I did with my finished painting.
Not easy but outstanding lesson. The class paintings were all lined up at the end and the quality of  work was incredible. Everyone excelled at this lesson.
Remember, all of this was completed in an afternoon four session which includes our one hour lunch break. Amazing!

Sure enough - the first notan I have everything snack in the middle. Second notan is not bad.

Third notan is too far right.  The fourth notan  is better - Yes. I painted over it with color.

Finished composition but is my focal point obvious? So much to remember!

No comments: