Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Going Bigger

I am trying to  learn a new oil painting technique that includes a wash. This has been going on for awhile and I accept that it will take me time to learn.
Last week, I decided I need to go bigger. So I purchased some inexpensive 16X20 canvas and textured them. I like the texture. Some how going bigger made me want to draw everything bigger than necessary.  (I need to make a mental note not get carried away with size). 
I pushed myself  out of my comfort zone and went for it which was good. I  loosened up at the beginning but as  I struggled with this study, I lost the values and color.  I didn't verify my drawing. Basically, when I am unsure of what do to do, I  go back to old bad habits.   I overwork and end up with a mediocre painting.
The patient and kind instructor rendered the flower and helped with the vase to get me back on track.
I am going to continue with this size as much as I can with this process.
Not a great painting but a great learning lesson. Sometimes that is the better goal.
16x20 BIG STUDY

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This was a wonderful step out of the box for you, and getting better all the time. Glad you are having fun with this technique. I learn from you every time!!!

Eva Marie Tanner-Klaas said...

Thank you. I am having fun but I was exhausted when I got home. I was pushed out my comfort zone and it was worth it.