Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Let Me See...

I printed out a black and white of a picture I took of the Winchuck River. When I took the shot, I was about 10 miles up the river and it was a gorgeous day. Colors around me had me asking the other plein air painter, Rob Decker, how in the world do you paint that? I was in awe of colors and shapes that I was seeing as if for the first time.
That is what studying art does to you. Every day you see more than you thought you could imagine. And when you see it all, you need to know how to organize it. Else, how can you ever paint it in a way that makes sense to you and the viewer?
I took out a piece of  scrap board and began to organize the painting. The trees in the back need to be pushed back more to distinguish from the branches and tree in the lower left. The branches need to be a different color than the rocks. The rocks in the foreground needs to be pushed lighter or darker than the other rocks in the background.  I will revisit it tomorrow and then put it on a larger canvas.

No comments: