Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Artist Block


I have taught classes in computers and math for many years and all these classes start with learning the basics and the steps to understanding these subjects. I always had students in Algebra not wanting to show the steps to their work. They did not want to learn the steps. They wanted to leap ahead. When they didn't learn the steps, they could only successfully go so far in Algebra before they ran into problems.
I have done the same thing when trying to learn color and paint with oils. I have been told time and time, again, that block studies are important.
Because I was not progressing like I wanted, I went to my local hardware store, went through their scrap wood piles. They gave me the scraps for free! I love free. They even cut a few pieces for me. Very nice.
Then I went to my local craft store and bought acrylic paints, primary and secondary colors.
I told my instructor and she said to be sure to gesso the pieces first and then add the acrylic.
Here are some of the completed blocks for my studies. I have red, blue, yellow, orange, purple, green and white. I need to make an yellow-orange, viridian, cerulian and a pink.
Off to hardware and craft store I go, again.
The blocks are also great for perspective.
I know it takes years to learn color but I am willing to accept the challenge!

No comments: