Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Fresh From the Freezer


This study is fresh from the freezer. It is where I keep my studies, in between classes, so they don't dry up.
This particular study I had to put more white into the light side of the shell. You can see where I will have to turn the shell and make sure it is curved. The curving will show it is an organic shape.
Initially, when I set up the still life, the top spike of the shell was lined up to the edge of the vase. I didn't realize it until Susan, the instructor, pointed it out. A second opinion is always good. An experienced opinion.
The still life was then rearranged to change this.
It is important, also, not to make the composition with equal distance on each side of the objects. Do not center the focal point.
The difficult part of the initial painting was to ensure the shell shadow was not similar to the background color.
You might see where the tabletop is close to the value of the shell's light side. I need to be careful to see and compare.
When painting the apple, I made sure to find the darkest dark of the apple and compare it.
Then, you must compare the darkest dark of the whole painting. Compare, compare, compare.

No comments: