Monday, January 13, 2014

So Much Fun With Peggi Kroll-Roberts

I love learning.  It is even more exciting with a great instructor who is passionate about teaching. I found this with Peggi Kroll-Roberts' two day workshop in Angels Camp, CA  this weekend.
I struggle with value when I paint. I had heard about Peggi's workshops and kept thinking I would get to it.  Before I knew it, two years had passed by so I finally signed up. What a fantastic leap forward!
First day we learned her method of value studies while watching her demonstrations. It was fun. She showed us how to paint quick studies using a light and dark with still life. Then we moved to  quick studies with two light and one dark value. Then one light and two dark values. Then she said just go for it.  (Some of the paint smeared in the back of my van but you get the idea).



Two value studies on 9"x12" linen canvas sheets.
The top left is a demo by Peggi to help me out. I love this quick studies. I see a  noticeable difference in the full color painting above immediately with my two lights and one dark value study.

Go for it  - I was happy and exhausted at this point.

Go for it, again. 
Next day, we moved to a live model with more demonstrations.  First we did quick, blind, contour drawings. We used the same learned value method for the model.   This continued all day. I was so excited after class I forgot some of my class work of the model - yikes. The good thing is Peggi had us paint continuously during the workshop so I walked away with quite a few pieces and  priceless information. Oh and I bought two of her DVDs. "Gathering Information" and "5 Minutes Notans".



If you struggle with values and want learn an effective way to improve your work, I highly recommend Peggi Kroll-Roberts to any artist regardless of your background.

No comments: