Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Day 15 - "Smile For the Birdy" By Eva Marie Tanner Klaas

Here is my value study of a ceramic bird.  My weakness is painting correctly dark values so I need to practice to improve my work. I take several classes with excellent instructors to help me with this.  Here is one from yesterday's class taught by Randy Blasquez.  We used complementary colors. I  used  cadmium lemon and dioxazine purple.  Oh, and white.
TIP: If can't remember the complementary color just remember the primaries: red, blue and yellow. Yellow mixed with blue make green. Guess what? Red is the compliment. Therefore, the complimentary color of green is red.
Yellow mixed with red make orange. The left over primary is blue. The complementary color.
Blue and red make purple. The compliment is yellow.
Here is another way to remember. You want to know the compliment of yellow. Mix the other two primaries red and blue which equal purple.
Compliment of red. Mix yellow and blue which equal green.
Compliment of blue. Mixed red and yellow which equal orange. I hope that makes sense.
"Smile For the Birdy" By Eva Marie Tanner Klaas 9x12 Oil On Canvas Sheet



2 comments:

Unknown said...

It makes really good sense Eva. Yes, your Birdie is a beauty. What a wonderful piece, and only 2 colors, just beautiful grays.

Eva Marie Tanner-Klaas said...

These lessons are fantastic, Randy. Beautiful grays. What surprised me was how the warmth as the neck worked so well. I can't wait for the next class.